Sunday, June 6, 2010

Many, many details!

This is going to be a busy summer!  So many details to take care of, but all good.  This coming week we meet with the landlord, Matt, & his architect to get the ball rolling.  We have some adjoining space so we have to figure out what will work for both sides.  We will be having an adjoining door with Dunn Bros!  Yea! So people can get their book & coffee fix at the same time - all in one convenient stop in Zimmerman!

I am currently filling out all the publishers & distributer forms to open accounts.  This is extremely exciting & at the same time makes my head go crazy!  I also am deciding on what other product we will carry.  For those familiar with us so far, you know that RFB will have books but also many unique items: old fashioned candies, games, t-shirts, local artisans, etc.  Unique things that you may not find elsewhere.  We also are trying to connect with local artists & musicians to incorporate them into this new community bookstore.

One other thing that I am working on is Book Clubs.  We want this to be a place where groups can meet & share the love of reading!  I keep saying it... "So many books, so little time!"  If I could read all the great books that I've found over the last year... well it would be heaven!  If you would like to head up a book club for your friends or open to the public, let me know.  There will be a discount when you purchase your book through us & we can try to arrange space for you & if is open to the public we can put it on our store calendar.

I'm also working on opening events. This is EXCITING!!!! Those who know me, know that I love to plan events.  Which is perfect for a bookstore. Other retailers don't do this type of thing on a regular basis, but bookstore owners thrive on it.  Things in the works:  Several author signings & a Skype author visit with an animal rescuer.  Hopefully this can be arranged for our soft opening. in Sept.

We also are working on the details for decorating the store. Colors, flooring, rugs, kid's area, lighting, signs, ... oh the list goes on!!!!!  Where will book genres go best in the store.  Special feature book areas.  I love all this stuff!  And of course picking out all the books for people to love. Indies (independent bookstores) are known for having unique books.  Things you may not see if you went to one of the chains or  department stores. We have the ability to hand pick our books for our customers.  We specialize in excellent customer service, knowing our customers & our product, & helping you find the perfect book or gift!  Try to do that with a 'Big Box" associate stocking shelves!

Mike is working on the inventory system, figuring out our accounting system & helping me so I can bounce the million or two ideas off of him that I have going in my head all at once!  And keeping me balanced.  He is so awesome!  I am so blessed to have him alongside of me.  How did I get so lucky?

Thank you all for your support.  We can't do this without you!  Just to let you know, we are still in need of ALOT of gently-used books of any genre.  We can arrange pickup.  If you have a few or many or if a family member or friend of yours would like to donate, please pass it along.  If you see a garage sale with alot of books or craigslist or auction, let me know! 

Have a great week & stay tuned for more adventures as the bookstore unfolds!

No comments:

Post a Comment